OTTAWA, On: Further to information released on April 9 and April 30, today’s focus is on further concerns and promising solutions. The Drug Safety & Effectiveness Network (DSEN) report of 2012 confirms concerns about the strong association between common stomach medications and C. difficile infections (CDI). “If the regulator cannot or will not act in the public interest then it falls to policy makers to advance the public interest and adjust the mandate of the regulator.” Today, I wish to draw attention to research that further links these medications with increased risk ....[click here for full story]
OTTAWA, On: In 2005, I was assured by the Health Minister of the day that Health Canada was actively investigating C. difficile deaths in Canadian hospitals and the relation to stomach acid suppressant drugs called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). A study by the Canadian Nosocomial Infection Surveillance Program (CNISP) would get to the bottom of it. It didn’t. The study presented in 2007 failed to collect data on the PPI issue. (Amazingly it purports to be the most extensive review on the subject in North America and useful as a ....[click here for full story]
On April 7th, 2014 Dr James Lunney Member of Parliament for Nanaimo-Alberni tabled Motion M501. It reads: That, in the opinion of the House, the government, in concert with provincial and territorial partners, should develop a National Strategy for Innovation, Effectiveness and Cost-effectiveness in Sustainable Health Care that: 1) Establishes regional centers for collaborative research and experimentation with innovative models that:(a) focus on effectiveness and cost-effectiveness, (b) are collaborative and interdisciplinary in character, (c) team up integrative medicine with allied professions, (d) utilize optimized information technology to document outcomes, (e) foster competition for better health care ....[click here for full story]
- Health Canada – C. difficile Further Concerns – Promising Solutions Regulatory Failure – Policy Action May 14, 2014OTTAWA, On: Further to information released on April 9 and April 30, today’s focus is on further concerns and promising solutions. The Drug Safety & Effectiveness Network (DSEN) report of 2012 confirms concerns about the strong association between common stomach … Continue reading →
- Innovation, Effectiveness, Cost-effectiveness for Sustainable Health Care May 8, 2014FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE OTTAWA, On: Dr. James Lunney, MP for Nanaimo-Alberni, stood in the House of Commons today to comment on his Motion 501, a National Strategy to achieve sustainable healthcare. In the House he said: “Motion 501 is about … Continue reading →
- Hospital Infections, Drugs, Deaths What is Wrong with Health Canada? April 30, 2014OTTAWA, On: In 2005, I was assured by the Health Minister of the day that Health Canada was actively investigating C. difficile deaths in Canadian hospitals and the relation to stomach acid suppressant drugs called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). A … Continue reading →
- Fair Elections Act addresses concerns April 10, 2014FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Fair Elections Act Bill C-23 Statement by James Lunney, MP. The Fair Elections Act addresses many concerns expressed by citizens and by the Chief Electoral Officer himself. Along with some 38 recommendations from the Chief Electoral Officer, … Continue reading →
- Lunney Commends Local Navy Ships in Joint Sting Operation April 10, 2014OTTAWA, On: Dr. James Lunney, Member of Parliament for Nanaimo-Alberni, questioned the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence, James Bezan, in the House this week about the participation of two Canadian Navy ships working in operations to thwart … Continue reading →
- Baird Declares Solidarity with Prisoners in Iran September 1, 2014Canada remains deeply concerned by the Islamic Republic of Iran's determination to use the courts and prison system as tools of repression. Hundreds of people are currently imprisoned in Iran simply for peacefully exercising their fundamental rights to freedom of speech, assembly and association.
- Minister Rickford Announces Participation in APEC Energy Ministers' Meeting August 31, 2014The Honourable Greg Rickford, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources and Minister for the Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario, today announced his participation in this week's Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Energy Ministers' meeting.
- Minister Aglukkaq to Open Founding Meeting of Arctic Economic Council August 31, 2014The Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of the Environment, Minister of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency and Minister for the Arctic Council, will attend the founding meeting of the Arctic Economic Council (AEC) in Iqaluit, Nunavut, on September 2 and 3, 2014.
- Parliamentary Secretary Anderson to Attend Third International Conference on Small Island Developing States in Samoa August 31, 2014David Anderson, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, will travel to Apia, Samoa, to participate in the Third International Conference on Small Island Developing States (SIDS) from September 1 to 4, 2014.
- Minister Clement to visit India, highlight strong economic ties August 31, 2014Visits to New Delhi and Mumbai will touch on Public Sector Management
- Health Canada – C. difficile Further Concerns – Promising Solutions Regulatory Failure – Policy Action May 14, 2014