OTTAWA, On: Further to information released on April 9 and April 30, today’s focus is on further concerns and promising solutions. The Drug Safety & Effectiveness Network (DSEN) report of 2012 confirms concerns about the strong association between common stomach medications and C. difficile infections (CDI). “If the regulator cannot or will not act in the public interest then it falls to policy makers to advance the public interest and adjust the mandate of the regulator.” Today, I wish to draw attention to research that further links these medications with increased risk ....[click here for full story]
OTTAWA, On: In 2005, I was assured by the Health Minister of the day that Health Canada was actively investigating C. difficile deaths in Canadian hospitals and the relation to stomach acid suppressant drugs called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). A study by the Canadian Nosocomial Infection Surveillance Program (CNISP) would get to the bottom of it. It didn’t. The study presented in 2007 failed to collect data on the PPI issue. (Amazingly it purports to be the most extensive review on the subject in North America and useful as a ....[click here for full story]
On April 7th, 2014 Dr James Lunney Member of Parliament for Nanaimo-Alberni tabled Motion M501. It reads: That, in the opinion of the House, the government, in concert with provincial and territorial partners, should develop a National Strategy for Innovation, Effectiveness and Cost-effectiveness in Sustainable Health Care that: 1) Establishes regional centers for collaborative research and experimentation with innovative models that:(a) focus on effectiveness and cost-effectiveness, (b) are collaborative and interdisciplinary in character, (c) team up integrative medicine with allied professions, (d) utilize optimized information technology to document outcomes, (e) foster competition for better health care ....[click here for full story]
- Health Canada – C. difficile Further Concerns – Promising Solutions Regulatory Failure – Policy Action May 14, 2014OTTAWA, On: Further to information released on April 9 and April 30, today’s focus is on further concerns and promising solutions. The Drug Safety & Effectiveness Network (DSEN) report of 2012 confirms concerns about the strong association between common stomach … Continue reading →
- Innovation, Effectiveness, Cost-effectiveness for Sustainable Health Care May 8, 2014FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE OTTAWA, On: Dr. James Lunney, MP for Nanaimo-Alberni, stood in the House of Commons today to comment on his Motion 501, a National Strategy to achieve sustainable healthcare. In the House he said: “Motion 501 is about … Continue reading →
- Hospital Infections, Drugs, Deaths What is Wrong with Health Canada? April 30, 2014OTTAWA, On: In 2005, I was assured by the Health Minister of the day that Health Canada was actively investigating C. difficile deaths in Canadian hospitals and the relation to stomach acid suppressant drugs called Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs). A … Continue reading →
- Fair Elections Act addresses concerns April 10, 2014FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Fair Elections Act Bill C-23 Statement by James Lunney, MP. The Fair Elections Act addresses many concerns expressed by citizens and by the Chief Electoral Officer himself. Along with some 38 recommendations from the Chief Electoral Officer, … Continue reading →
- Lunney Commends Local Navy Ships in Joint Sting Operation April 10, 2014OTTAWA, On: Dr. James Lunney, Member of Parliament for Nanaimo-Alberni, questioned the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of National Defence, James Bezan, in the House this week about the participation of two Canadian Navy ships working in operations to thwart … Continue reading →
- Notice from the Acting Director of Military Prosecutions September 18, 2014On 17 September 2014, a notice of appeal was filed in the case of R vs Warrant Officer JGA Gagnon concerning the not-guilty verdict handed down on 22 August 2014 by the General Court Martial.
- Army Commander engaging counterparts at Conference of European Armies September 18, 2014Lieutenant-General Marquis Hainse, Commander of the Canadian Army, participated in the 22nd annual Conference of European Armies (CEA), in Wiesbaden, Germany from September 15 to 17.
- Statement by the Honourable Shelly Glover, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, on the Calgary International Film Festival September 18, 2014Statement on the Calgary International Film Festival
- Canada Promoting Sustainable Economic Growth in sub-Saharan Africa September 18, 2014Private-sector-led, sustainable growth key to breaking the cycle of poverty
- Canadian Museum for Human Rights September 18, 2014His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada, will take part in the opening ceremonies of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) in Winnipeg, Manitoba, on Friday, September 19, 2014, at 10:30 a.m. CDT. The Governor General, who is patron of the Museum, will deliver remarks on this occasion.
- Health Canada – C. difficile Further Concerns – Promising Solutions Regulatory Failure – Policy Action May 14, 2014